Friends of the Bear River Refuge
2023 Amateur Photo Contest
Capture the essence of Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge! Share your images with others by entering our 13th Annual Amateur Photo Contest. Only 1 entry per category may be submitted. Submission deadline September 9, 2023.
Entries can be submitted in the following 8 categories: (All photos should be taken on or be of the Refuge.)
- Bird Life – Photographs which feature a bird or birds on the Refuge.
- Other Wildlife – Photographs of species other than birds: including: mammals, reptiles, amphibians, insects, etc.
- Animal Behavior – Photographs should have action: Birds, mammals or other wildlife interacting with each other, nesting, feeding, preening, defending territory, etc. Category demands movement and/or action!
- Landscape/Habitat – Scenic vistas, beautiful landscapes and lush habitat of the Refuge
- Sunrise/Sunset– Colorful shots of the sunrise or sunset over the Refuge wetlands.
- Creative Nature – Get creative! Enhance your images using computer software or creative angles, camera setting, filters, etc. NOTE: This is the ONLY category where you may manipulate or modify your original image.
- Recreation/Education – Show people enjoying the Refuge; bird watching, hunting, taking pictures, fishing or participating in one of our educational programs or activities.
- Special Category – “Black” – For 2023 only! Submit your best photos that bring the beauty of the color black to the light.
Contest Rules and Requirements
- All entries must be photographed at Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge between September 1, 2022 and August 24, 2023. No previous entries may be entered. Photos should be 5” x 7” and may be black and white or color. Images should be printed on glossy photo paper. They cannot be matted or framed, nor should they have white borders.
- A high resolution digital copy of your entry must also be submitted with your image. You may send this on a disk or USB flash drive, or you may email it to: email@example.com. Images from multiple photographers may be combined onto one disk. Please clearly mark each image with the title and photographer’s name.
- Cropping is allowed but any color modifications or adding elements not existing in the original image will NOT be accepted. EXCEPTION: The “Creative Nature” category. See No. 6 above.
- Complete the entry form available at the Wildlife Education Center and affix it to the back side of your image. You may also write the necessary information on back of your image. For each photo the following information must be included on the back of the photo: Photographer’s name, address, phone number, email, category entered, name of the photo and date the image was taken. Mail all entries to: Bear River Refuge Photo Contest, 2155 West Forest Street, Brigham City, UT 84302. Entries may also be dropped off at the Wildlife Education Center, located one block west of Interstate 15 at Exit 363 (Forest Street) in Brigham City, Utah. The center is open from 8:00am to 5:00pm Tuesday through Friday and from 10:00am to 4:00pm on Saturdays. The center is closed Sundays, Mondays and all federal holidays.
- All entries must be submitted by September 9, 2023.
- All submitted prints will become the property of the Friend of the Bear River Refuge. The photographer grants unlimited use of submitted photographs by the Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge and Friends of the Bear River Refuge for publications, displays, web pages, presentations and other promotional products. Credit will be given to the photographer. The photographer retains the copyright to their photos. Photos WILL be displayed at the Wildlife Education Center and winning photos on the website.
- **Photographers must be non-professional; this is an amateur contest. For the purposes of this contest, a professional photographer is considered to be a photographer who has clients, depends on photography for their income, markets their services and/or writes off their expenses as a business owner.
- Winners will be announced in October during, National Wildlife Refuge Week.
- Bear River Refuge staff and Friends of the Refuge Board Members are not eligible to enter.
- Youth photographers are encouraged to participate.
Recognition will be given to the winner in each of the 8 categories:
For more information, contact the Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge, 2155 West Forest Street, Brigham City, UT 84302, (435) 734-6443, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sponsored by the Friends of the Bear River Refuge
What to include on photo entries?
Friends of the Bear River Refuge
Amateur Photo Contest Entry Form – 2023
Photographer’s Name: __________________________________________________________
Address: ____________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________
Phone Number: _______________________________________________________________
Category entered: (circle one)
Bird Life Other Wildlife Creative Nature Sunrise/Sunset Animal Behavior Landscape/Habitat Recreation/Education/ “Black”
Title of the Photo: ____________________________________________________________
Date taken: _________________________________________________________________
All information on this form MUST be provided