Become a Member of the Friends of the Bear River Refuge
Who are the Friends of the Bear River Refuge?
We are a not-for-profit support group whose members are wildlife enthusiasts who care about nature and wild places. We feel an obligation to learn more about the natural world, share that knowledge with others, and preserve the refuge as a place for future generations to experience and learn to care about.
The group is devoted to the promotion, appreciation, and conservation of the wildlife, birds, and habitat of the Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge. Officially established as a not-for-profit, charitable organization in 1998, we are partners with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
We are involved with the operation of the James V. Hansen Wildlife Education Center, assisting with the public education programs and other projects. The Friends have been partners in this endeavor since the early planning phase. Serving as a national example, fund raising by the Friends made the project possible. In total a match of $1.5 million in cash and in kind services were donated to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to assist in the construction of the center.
The Wildlife Education Center provides classroom facilities for school-aged children as well as adults, an exhibit area, auditorium, Nature Explore Outdoor Classroom, and the Avocet Corner Bookstore. Profits from the store are used to support refuge projects and educational programs.
Benefit to the Area
We plan to increase the economic vitality of our local communities by attraction more than 100,000 visitors to the area each year.
What Can YOU Do?
You can participate solely with your annual membership, but we encourage you to be a more active member by assisting with a variety of the organization’s activities:
- Assist with special events or meetings
- Volunteer to staff the information desk or the bookstore
- Construct or maintain visitor facilities such as hiking trails, observation decks, or interpretive areas
- Conduct guided tours of the refuge or join the environmental education committee
- Promote the refuge and our family program series
- Plan social events and projects for the Friends organization
- An opportunity for a exclusive behind the scenes tour of the Refuge. this will be a unique tour just for our Friends members!
- A 10 percent discount in the Avocet Corner Bookstore.
- Access to the Public Lands Alliance Reciprocal Discount Program.
- Email invitations to all Refuge special events and activities.
- Opportunities to assist with activities.
- Provide engaging education and outreach programs for the community.
- Membership dues and donations are tax deductible.
How can I join?
- Come visit the Avocet Corner Bookstore in the James V. Hansen Wildlife Education Center at 2155 E. Forest St., Brigham City, UT 84302
- Make your tax-deductible check out to “Friends of the Bear River Refuge” and send it along with your name, address, and e-mail address to the above address.
- Visit our online store.
Yes! I want to join the Friends of the Bear River Refuge.
- Pelican level membership: Seniors (62) & Students – $20
- Mallard level membership: Individual – $25
- Grebe level membership: Family – $50
- Burrowing Owl level membership: Sponsor – $100
- Golden Eagle level membership: Benefactor – $500
- Avocet level membership: Lifetime – $1,000
Not interested in becoming a member? Make a one-time donation to the Friends of the Bear River Bird Refuge.